Saturday, February 20, 2016

Do you ever just say "thank you?"

http://i-am-ruby.tumblr.com 
graphic credit only, no endorsement
Just put it out there in the universe for the good karma that it returns to you and others?

So, seriously, probably two decades ago I was listening to an interview on talk radio (OK, yeah, NPR. Say it with me…”I heard it on NPR”). The interviewee, an author, was talking about her exploration of her spirituality and how that adventure transformed itself nicely into her recently published book --- now, there’s a miracle.

An example of the confrontations she encountered as she pondered this issue (and as I recall 20-ish years later. WARNING: paraphrasing and extrapolation ahead), she 
found herself in line with a friend at a coffee shop listing and complaining about everything that had already gone wrong with the day.

The friend, applauding-ly brave and direct, interjected, “Do you ever just say 'thank you'?”

We, the listeners, felt the author’s stunned pause before she defended with: To whom? For what? I don’t believe in God.”

The friend, (still recalling here) suggested that she didn’t have to believe in any one god to take inventory of the good that happens each day in her life and put a “thank you” indiscriminately out into the universe for it.

I can’t tell you another thing about the interview, the author or the book, but I have practiced that lesson multiple times a day ever since --- like when I do find my car keys.

I do identify as a spiritual but not particularly religious individual. There is some higher power out there for me because I do believe I, and those around me have benefited from some minor (in big-picture mode but major in our lives) miracles. Not all of my requests (prayers) have been honored though or some very important people in my life would still be here working their own miracles on others and me. But that’s the balance, I guess.

I just don’t happen to believe in organized religion. I think they are cults organized by men with too much time and power on their hands. I don’t think God had anything to do with these organizations. It’s OK; my family knows my position, even a close relative who is a minister. I think he politely excuses me as the family eccentric. ;-)

I admit I talk to my God several times a day, usually to ask for a favor (AKA prayer) or just say “thanks” for something good that has happened, and usually when I am not talking to my cats. Both are very good covers at my age lest anyone think I’m talking to myself.

I was raised Christian by practicing parents (I think my late-dad would guffaw heartily if I were to suggest here that my mom was probably the better practitioner than he. My mom would quietly, confidently nod slightly in agreement and ignore my dad altogether…which would earn another hearty laugh). As far as I knew and witnessed, most of my relatives were also churchgoers. It was a model in our lives that we were expected to follow. When we were confirmed in our church as young adults, my parents did what the church claimed to intend --- they gave us the choice to continue as members of the church or not --- I chose not.

Still, over the years, I’ve recognized the charmed (blessed?) life I’ve been granted and have made an effort to acknowledge it, put it in perspective, and pay it forward (much better book than movie). And, I’ve noticed others’ attempts to get a handle on how to focus energy on the good of their lives rather than the bad. (We waste so much energy complaining about the problems rather than focusing that same energy on the solution.)

“Ah ha moments” one facilitator called her approach. She encouraged her workshop participants to take an inventory at the end of the day of the good that happened to them. Make a list.

When I turn out the light each night, instead of a prayer, I say “thank you” to God for each of the good things that did happen that day --- from getting me home safely to having the resources I needed to get something done, to friends and family, and yes, to finding my keys. A bit of an inventory does put daily life in perspective and helps us let go of some of the stress that accompanies the challenges.

No one is going to argue that the longer we live, the more we may have to be thankful for. Nor will they argue that longevity gives us perspective on the comedy and tragedies of our daily lives. The first world issues versus the real issues. Maybe instead of teaching our younger generations to practice some man-made religion, we should be modeling ways to value the blessings of our individual lives and how to put the daily challenges in perspective. Somehow collectively building up universal karma fueled by appreciation rather than complaints. Maybe that universal karma can benefit us all.


One friend responded to this post with:
Donna
I started thanking each individual atom this morning, I did not get past some dark stuff under my fingernail. I'll try again tomorrow. 
-T

Another:
As children we are taught to say, "Thank You" some adults have a hard time saying it. Here are some effects... "Thank You" has.....it makes smiles, it make you feel helpful, it tells you,grand job, what you feel that, what you do counts.

Thank You is a powerful reply. The way it is said can also make you feel uneasy. 
But most of the time it is a verbal hug....So say Thank You to everyone.....
-S


What are your thoughts and experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment