Thursday, October 12, 2017

I didn't take a knee




I didn't take a knee during the National Anthem Saturday as I expected I would have.

I stood, hand over heart, singing along, while listing all the reasons I couldn't/shouldn't kneel.

Each of them the exact reasons why I should have taken a knee.

The Detroit Lions kneel and join arms in protest during
The Detroit Lions kneel and join arms in protest during the anthem before a game against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017 at Ford Field in Detroit.  Kirthmon F. Dozier, Detroit Free Press
I remain committed to supporting those who take a knee. What happened to me Saturday reminds me that I am not perfect in my efforts no matter how sincere my intentions. I won't stop trying. Firsts sometimes take time. The first effort to volunteer, speak out or rally, any first public action to back up a belief can be intimidating if one thinks about it for too long. And that's what I did.

I was at a county fair ground for an antiques sale in predominantly white and wealthy northern Oakland County, Michigan. As I looked around those who stopped shopping to participate in the National Anthem, I saw the back of only one African American among a crowd of hundreds. That is enough of a reason to have taken a knee. Where better to raise consciousness than in an all-white crowd?

I was with one of my dearest friends who is also the state's executive director of the American Legion Auxiliary. I'd already seen her bite her lip in response to one of my statements about the knee issue --- because of the position that the action disrespects the military. Yet, I have heard one member of the military point out that he believed he fought to protect U.S. freedoms, among them the freedoms to peaceably protest and of speech.
Image result for colin kaepernick
Colin Kaepernick on the cover of Time Magazine, October 3, 2016.  He said he had no choice but to kneel.
  I might have become a FB posting by people I didn't know who would interrupt their  tribute to the anthem just to take pictures and criticize me publicly. Of course, that's exactly what needs to happen. Some one person like Colin Kaepernick, doing it to start the conversation and others, like me, doing it to keep the conversation going until the issue --- the U.S. keeping its promise of equal treatment, powers and privileges for all citizens --- is solved.

And finally, the practical elements. It had poured rain all night long and the grounds were puddled and pond thick with mud. Did I really want to kneel in the mud? I could move to a stone drive. Ouch. I could kneel on my purse. Damage? One reality after another that couldn't defend me. Even the fear of not being able to get back up after I got down there (there's no grace in aging), couldn't justify standing. I have friends who would have rescued me.

Which brings me back to rescuing my fellow Americans who have not been protected and privileged by their own nation as I have.

It's interesting to me that the issue has become a question of disrespect for the flag and the anthem, when these are just symbols of this nation. They are visual and audio cues that remind us all what this nation proclaims loudly to the world --- freedom and equality for all its citizens --- the kinds of things many immigrants have only dreamed of as they seek entrance here. 

I am proud of Kaepernick for starting this discussion (anyone who knows him please be sure to tell him I’m proud of him). And I’m proud of all of those who have followed his lead and exercised their right to free speech. I’m even proud of the team owners who have backed their players in this peaceful protest. (Although the cynic in me thinks they checked out public sentiment in relationship to ticket sales first.)

I just hope it stays on track: Equality in rights and protections for all our citizens, not just the white ones.

The promises were made generations ago. Our government officials travel the world boasting about how free and great we are while their own constituents are neglected, abused, jailed and murdered because of their race. (Please read “The New Jim Crow”.) There is no time like the present to press our representatives to honor the promises America has made to its people. Government has not been willing to do this on its own so we must continue to holler, “Do Your Job” at them so they know we are watching and perhaps rethinking our votes until they do their job.

I’ll get down there but until then I have no problems hollering. Join me for what’s right.




No comments:

Post a Comment