Friday, January 22, 2016

Teetering on the Fence: Hiring and Firing The Older Worker



 Here’s one of those places where I am really teetering on the fence.

I spend my workdays preparing students to be the critical thinkers and decision makers for my future as well as for theirs and their kids.

It’s only fair.

I’ve taken my turn, done my work, and figure I have to trust our youth to take their turn. Hopefully, recognizing that they have a stake in the decisions they make as they contribute to their community.

And then I think about my 60-something friends who have been pushed out of jobs due to suspected ageism, or found themselves without jobs coming out of the 2007-08 financial crisis that wiped their positions off the map, took their homes in foreclosure, and their savings as they struggled to stay afloat. In 2007, these folks hadn’t yet fallen into this ageism gap and would have continued successfully in their work and careers had then economy not come crashing down on their unsuspecting heads.

Several relocated in hopes of better prospects, some tried changing careers and still others settled for minimum wage or retired earlier than they planned.


At 59, I was newly divorced and settling into my condo when my 40-something house painter announced to me that he’d just hired a 59-year-old painter. He was, he told me, pleased and surprised by the professionalism, level of experience, and quality of work. His tone told me he had been skeptical that a 59-year-old would have the stamina for the work.

The 59-year-old me had to take a moment to let that announcement sink in. My 26-year-old mouth (and brain) wasn’t as patient.

(No, I didn’t fire him on the spot, are you kidding me? He was doing great work and he was almost done!)

I did have a bit of a “come to Jesus” moment diplomatically with him though. Pointing out that 59 is the new 49 (hitting him where it hurts ;-).

I did point out that I was 59.

I did point out that fully capable people come in all ages.

I stew over the wealth of skill, experience and knowledge that mature professionals have and the value that is lost when we let go of these people.

I acknowledge that 12-year-olds (OK 30-somethings) don’t want to hire, train and manage employees who are old enough to be their grandparents.

I acknowledge that I don’t want to work for a 12-year-old whose knowledge base and experience aren’t sufficient to instill confidence in me, let alone respect.

Both have to come to respect what each brings to the professional table in terms of knowledge about the marketplace. Both have to recognize the other for the resources they possess and the value to them individually as well as to the organization.

A forty-something student recently shared that he found campus job fairs disappointing because the younger recruiters didn't understand why he would want an internship after successful careers. Yet, like every other student seeking internships, he is in school to update his skills and knowledge and the internship is as important to him as it is to the 20-something in line behind him.

In a conversation with a media colleague recently, who was pushed out of her career position with age as a possible factor, I rattled on sagely about pitching professional maturity, experience, institutional history, etc. She all but slapped me across the face with a far more reasoned and brilliant strategy. Sheesh!

Twelve-year-olds don’t want to hear about what older applicants have done and the baggage of outdated accomplishments they drag around with them. Twelve-year-olds want to hear what the applicants --- all applicants, any applicants --- can do for them right now with contemporary work tools and resources to accomplish the organization’s mission. Older workers must be prepared to satisfy the contemporary demands of the employer.

A 55-year-old worker didn't understand why he was let go after his six-month probationary period. His employer had tracked him carefully because while he had the skills, knowledge and experience that the company wanted, the worker refused to update his approach to the work. Each time he was counseled to approach the work with contemporary practices, he returned to the work with a "I've always done it this way." Works for him no doubt, but it doesn't work for the company for which he was working.

At the same time, employers do have an obligation to their employees to provide workers with opportunities to develop their skills and maintain relative to technology and current standards within the field. Employers need to encourage this development as well. Even if, then, the older workers leave their positions for whatever reason, they have, at minimum, an understanding of the needs of the current marketplace and the confidence that they can make the changes and acquire the skills necessary to compete there.

I remain on the fence here. How do we best utilize and not lose the skills and knowledge of our aging workers?

How do we trust younger workers who we don’t quite think have enough experience and skills yet to best understand and service our needs?

How do we take down the fence and benefit from the best of both?




The Intern (I) (2015)

70-year-old widower Ben Whittaker has discovered that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seizing an opportunity to get back in the game, he becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by Jules Ostin.

Director/Writer: Nancy Meyers

Stars:, , Rene Russo



No comments:

Post a Comment